REPORTS TO: CEO
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Founded in 2006, exalt’s mission is to transform the lives of court-involved youth by equipping them with the skills and experience they need to become self-sufficient members of society. We fulfill this mission by providing a cohesive, cohort-based educational internship program with four components: 1) a proprietary curriculum-based classroom component; 2) paid internships in youths’ fields of interest; 3) post-internship education and career development services; and 4) an alumni network that provides ongoing access to resources. exalt partners with criminal justice agencies, nonprofits, corporations, foundations, and schools to serve youth ages 15-19. exalt empowers youth to see a future filled with hope and provides a roadmap to get there.
exalt is the first organization designed specifically for youth involved in the criminal justice system in which youth participate by choice, versus compliance. Last year, the organization served over 500 students in its core program and over 500 youth in its alumni network – 70% young men and 30% young women. Over 90% of participants in exalt’s program are Black (Caribbean, African, and African American) or Latino. exalt recently implemented an ambitious three-year strategic plan to nearly triple its original size. At 17 years young, exalt is growing quickly. For more information on this extraordinary organization, please visit https://exaltyouth.org/.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The board and CEO of exalt are looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader to serve as the Chief Strategic Officer (CSO) to advance and implement the organization’s strategic initiatives and plans. The CSO reports to exalt’s CEO and is a member of an Executive Team that includes the Chief Operating Officer, Chief Program Officer, and Director of Finance. In coordination with the CEO and Executive Team, the CSO will ensure exalt is well-positioned for sustainable growth and create a roadmap for staff to execute long-term goals.
- Articulate and implement the strategic vision and leadership of the agency.
- Partner with the Chief Program Officer to solidify a sustainable strategy for exalt’s internship model and build a pipeline of quality internship partners.
- Promote and diversify funding through effective resource stewardship.
- Raise the agency’s profile through external communications.
- Enhance the structure of the organization by staying abreast of developments in youth workforce, juvenile justice reform, and education.
- Participate in the budget development process and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility.
- Conduct market research to inform strategic decision-making.
Strategy Implementation & Evaluation:
- Partner with Executive Team and staff to translate strategic goals and objectives into actionable implementation plans.
- Outline the necessary activities, timelines, resource requirements, and milestones for successful strategy execution and collaborate with the Executive Team to establish the necessary systems and policies for sustained growth.
- Manage communication, coordination, and alignment among Executive Team, staff, and other stakeholders to ensure a smooth implementation process.
- Develop change management strategies to mitigate resistance among stakeholders and ensure understanding, commitment, and buy-in throughout the implementation journey.
- Identify and mitigate implementation challenges that may impact exalt’s strategic goals.
- Conduct risk analysis and develop contingency plans to ensure the continuity of exalt’s operations, programs, and activities.
- Replicate exalt’s model and pilot projects, including systems to evaluate pilots, in conjunction with the Chief Program Officer.
- Form new potential partnerships to support the organization’s strategic objectives.
- Assess the feasibility and sustainability of growth opportunities.
- Provide guidance and support to all staff, fostering a collaborative environment.
- Work closely with the COO and Director of Finance to allocate budgets, personnel, technology, and other resources in alignment with strategic priorities.
- Establish performance targets, metrics, and reporting systems to track the progress of exalt’s strategic initiatives.
- Provide regular updates to the CEO and other stakeholders, identifying gaps or obstacles, and recommending solutions as needed.
- Identify areas of improvement to enhance the efficiency and impact of exalt’s strategic initiatives.
Stakeholder Engagement and Relationship Management:
- Cultivate and solicit potential funders.
- Build new partnerships with large employers with a track record of successful youth engagement.
- Deepen impact in New York City through expanding government and business community partnerships.
- Develop and deliver presentations, reports, and strategic communications to Executive Team, board, and other stakeholders.
- Convert internship hosts to donors through targeted requests and opportunities.
- Champion fund development efforts through the promotion and execution of exalt’s annual fundraising event, report writing and partnering with the CEO to steward funding relationships.
- Frequently engage the Board of Directors under the CEO’s direction.
- Remain current on developments in the field by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of exceptional abilities with a respected track record.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to think critically, analyze complex problems, and develop innovative strategies
- Ability to drive change and gain buy-in from stakeholders
- Ability to present complex concepts in a clear and concise manner to diverse audiences
- Ability to work cross-functionally and build relationships at all levels of the organization
- Excellent decision-making skills with a focus on long-term objectives
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to navigate through uncertainty
- Experience working with boards
- Highly detail-oriented
- Ability to exemplify leadership and composure under pressure, while maintaining high morale
- Ability to work with a wide range of people representing various backgrounds, levels of training, and career stages
- Ability to multitask, offering support to the CEO and other members of the Executive Team
- Strategic Thinking: Demonstrates a strong future-focused mindset by proactively identifying and analyzing emerging trends, technologies, and shifts in the youth workforce landscape, while leveraging knowledge to drive innovative solutions and strategic decision-making.
- Innovation: Creates a culture of innovation and creativity within the organization, encourages creative thinking, and identifies opportunities for growth.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills: Organizes work, sets clear priorities, brings structure to ambiguity, determines resource requirements, and seeks input and support from supervisors/colleagues; determines the necessary sequence of activities needed to achieve goals. Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Communication: Clearly, effectively, and efficiently conveys and receives information and ideas. Demonstrates excellent written, oral, and listening skills. Welcoming and approachable demeanor.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Has strong familiarity with and understanding of or is committed to learning about exalt students’ histories, cultures, and the socio-economic and political factors which have shaped those.
- Adaptability: Able to adapt quickly to new information and unexpected deadlines and obstacles. Approaches change positively.
- Technological Experience: Familiarity with Google Suite, Salesforce, Macs, PCs, and Chromebooks. Photoshop, Adobe, or media applications preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-7 years of senior leadership experience
- Extensive experience in strategic planning, organization development, or a related field
- Advanced degree in a relevant field, a plus
LOCATION: New York, NY
exalt is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other protected class under Federal, State and Local law. People of color strongly encouraged to apply.