exalt elevates expectations of personal success for youth ages 15-19 who’ve been involved in the criminal justice system. We inspire youth at a critical crossroads to believe in their worth, from the first steps in contemplation through the journey to create lasting behavioral change. Our powerful combination of structured classes for tangible skill development, individualized support to navigate the education and justice systems, placement in paid internships and an alumni network of resources equips youth with the tools and experience to avoid further criminal justice system involvement. At exalt, we empower youth to see a future filled with hope – and we provide the road map to get there.
For more than 13 years, exalt has developed a proven and tested model for moving court-involved young people’s trajectories away from further system-involvement. Now, at a critical time of growth and scale, the organization has been awarded a contract with the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice to deliver ATI (Alternative to Incarceration) services. The Court Liaison will help the organization deliver these services at a historic and pivotal moment for youth justice in New York City. Responsible for working within the court system to assess, screen and advocate for the Alternatives to Incarceration placements; and report to the court regarding clients’ participation and progress in the program, the Court Liaison will serve as an ambassador for the organization to various stakeholders and entities within the courts, including but not limited to: judges, assistant district attorneys, public defense counsels, clerks, court officers, court administration personnel, the department of probation and other alternative to incarceration agencies. The individual in this role will be strategic, diplomatic, hard-working, possess savvy and know-how for confronting and operating within while still challenging complex systems of power and authority and have a deep seeded passion for the mission of exalt and advancing the young people we serve in the areas of our three key pillars: criminal justice avoidance, employability and educational progression.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with court personnel to identify eligible young people for exalt‘s ATI program;
- Liaise with defense counsels for the alternative to incarceration of their clients;
- Interview prospective clients, both currently incarcerated and at liberty;
- Advocate before the court for the release of clients to exalt‘s ATI programs;
- Draft and/or present written and verbal reports to the Court regarding client’s participation and progress in ATI program;
- Liaise and collaborate with exalt’s program coordinators, teachers, internship coordinator, alumni coordinator, and other staff to encourage, assist and plan with young people in achieving progress on their individualized personal plans (IPP’s);
- Research and record accurate information on all court proceedings related to young people’s court cases to organization’s data management system;
- Provide information within criminal justice system regarding exalt’s ATI service;
- Establish, develop and maintain collaborative relationships with defense attorneys, judges, and prosecutors that engender confidence in exalt’s unique humanizing and culturally relevant methodology and approach
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Ability to get access to the courts through an Office of Court Administration Secure Pass;
- High school diploma or GED/HSE required; MSW, LMSW, or LCSW preferred
- Previous court advocacy experience preferred;
- Available to work night shifts;
- Experience with databases for entering client information;
- Knowledge of the structure and procedures of the Criminal Justice system and its legalese required;
- Experience with ATD and ATI programs a plus;
- Strong oral and written communications skills required;
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus; and
- We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Requires travel around NYC boroughs and to our headquarters in lower Manhattan.
This job is in-person. All employees are required to be vaccinated.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position offers a competitive salary of $58,500 as well as a benefits package which includes: health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401k matching; commuter and parking flexible spending, paid time off; and more.
exalt is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.