Seasonal Greenmarket Site Lead (April – November)
GrowNYC is a 53-year-old environmental nonprofit organization, helping more than 3
million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a
livable city – one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
● Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and
Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest,
healthiest local food.
● We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap
collection, Stop ‘N’ Swaps, and free trainings to make waste reduction easy
● We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days,
technical assistance, training, grants and more.
● We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful
interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires are encouraged to take the COVID vaccine (as defined by the CDC) and we ask to submit proof to our HR department within 30 days of hire. Employees may be required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily health screenings, mask wearing, and other mitigation measures as deemed necessary by local conditions, mandates, and applicable guidelines.
$250 signing bonus for new hourly hires after August 1
, 2022. New hires will receive
the signing bonus after 60 days of active employment. Terms and conditions apply.
Seasonal Greenmarket Site Lead
Site Leads are Greenmarket’s representatives to the public. During the season, they
work to build healthy communities and create an environment where local farmers
can sell their products and keep their farms viable. The Site Lead is responsible for
performing a variety of tasks from three equally important pillars – operations,
promotions, and food access.
Seasonal Site Lead Responsibilities (Include but are not limited to)
● Coordinate market layout by overseeing the placement of farmers’ tents and
vehicle parking to align with the market’s setup.
● Set up and break down GrowNYC information tent, folding tables, and
perform other manual tasks
● Complete daily reports and other site-specific paperwork by assigned
● Follow and enforce market rules and regulations
● Address and resolve disputes that may arise between farmers, customers,
and the public
● Attend weekly meetings with supervisor and on-going trainings, as needed
Qualified candidates for the
Seasonal Site Lead position
should submit a resume, and
three references to: GrowNYC
Interviews will take place on a
rolling basis. Due to the
volume of employment
GrowNYC is unable to respond
to each application individually.
Applicants will be contacted
directly if selected as a
candidate. No phone calls or
P.O. Box 2327
New York, NY 10272
For additional information,
please see our website:
● Perform SNAP/EBT, debit/credit, and cash transactions at sites and maintain
● Manage at-market nutrition incentive currencies and ensure that financials
are balanced after each shift
● Educate customers on a variety of Food Access and incentive programs
Promotions & Outreach
● Develop and maintain relationships with customers, community leaders, city
employees, local merchants, etc. while representing Greenmarket
● Work with supervisor to plan at-market promotional events (varies by site)
● Perform outreach in the local community to promote markets and the use of
SNAP/EBT at market
● Willing to work every scheduled shift throughout the April-November season,
including weekends and holidays
● Early riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
● Strong communicator who enjoys talking and working with people of all
● Works well both independently and as a member of a team
● Comfortable working with the public in a variety of NYC neighborhoods
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and stand for periods of up to 10 hours. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
A Greenmarket shift consists of 8-10 hours of on-site work (plus an additional 1-3
hours of office work per shift). Shifts start as early as 6AM, with the majority falling on
Seasonal Site Leads will work a flexible schedule with a minimum of 1 shift per week
and a maximum of 3 shifts per week. Placement is determined by the availability and logistical needs of the markets. Expect to work between 15-35 hours per week.
The position is a non-exempt, part-time, variable hourly position. It pays $21 per hour and includes only statutory benefits.
Greenmarket operates sites in all five boroughs – all locations are outdoors.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer
and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical