JOB OVERVIEW: As a Domestic Violence Counselor, you will work to further MSP’s mission in accordance with our guiding principles in a dynamic role leading an established collaboration between MSP, a domestic violence advocacy organization, and Westchester County’s Department of Social Services (DSS). Through this innovative collaboration, MSP helps to identify CPS cases in which there is suspected or documented domestic violence and child abuse or neglect and connect abused parents and their children to specialized support.
You will provide trauma informed crisis intervention, safety planning, client-centered counseling, referrals and advocacy to families identified through the collaboration, developing an individualized plan of action for each. You will work collaboratively with DSS personnel and maintain strong connections to all other MSP program areas, including our Shelter, Family Services unit, and Center for Legal Services. In a highly visible role, you will build and maintain cross-referral partnerships and improve the overall response to domestic violence in the region.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
• Providing ongoing support and informal training to DSS staff on assessing and responding to the needs of domestic violence victims and their families and accompanying CPS staff to field investigations.
• Attending case conferences and staff meetings and family conferences.
• Gathering and analyzing statistics to monitor program effectiveness and drafting monthly/quarterly activity reports to funders.
• Provide ongoing training and support to DSS staff on best practices in assessing and responding to domestic violence and the needs of victims and their families and organizing and facilitating meetings internally at MSP as part of the collaboration. Following-up on issues raised at meetings.
• Representing MSP at community meetings and coalitions and engaging in outreach to establish and strengthen partnerships.
• Participating in MSP trainings, committees, and interdepartmental meetings.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
YOU MUST HAVE…
· Bachelor’s degree and minimum of two years experience working with survivors of gender -based violence, domestic violence, human trafficking.
· Knowledge of trauma-informed practice and parenting skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team.
· Proficient computer/technology skills including using Microsoft office, Apricot database and other web-based platforms.
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines.
· A passionate commitment to principles of anti-oppression
· Valid driver’s license and reliable, insured transportation.
Candidate must be bi-lingual in English and Spanish. This role requires occasional flexible hours, including early mornings/evenings/weekends.
Application Instructions: NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements via email to Michelle Manzer Barrera, LCSW, Director of DSS/DV Collaboration, email@example.com
About My Sisters' Place
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: At MSP, we strongly believe that integrating a world-changing approach into all areas of our work is essential to ending domestic violence and human trafficking. Our dynamic and diverse team of compassionate advocates is working to create a world in which every individual has the basic human right to be free from gender-based violence and to engage in relationships that embrace the principles of respect, equality, and safety.
MSP is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, responding to domestic violence and human trafficking in Westchester County, New York, by providing multi-lingual, trauma-informed legal and supportive services. We bolster our work with clients by engaging in extensive outreach and community education, strengthening the systemic response to all forms of gender-based violence.
GREAT BENEFITS AND PTO PACKAGE: MSP employees enjoy a generous health benefits package that includes dental and vision care. Our Financial Savings Plain reflects a commitment to the future well-being of our employees. PTO and self-care are important to us and we offer a PTO plan that includes vacation, sick time, personal days as well as summer Fridays.